Instructions :
*Please click on the individual names on the left to know more about each place.
*Use the '+' '-' buttons on bottom right of the map or the mouse scroll buttons to zoom in or out of the map.

Meenakshi Temple

This Temple is more than 1000 years old, dedicated to Goddess Meenakshi & Lord Sundareshwar. The skyline of Madurai is dominated by 4 Gopurams (towers) of this Temple.
Open : 05:00am-12:00pm & 04:00pm-09:30pm
Last Pooja : 09:00pm

1000 Pillars Museum

This Museum houses 1000 (985 to be exact) carved pillars & also musical pillars, which produce musical notes when tapped. Idol of Dancing Nataraja on his right leg, which is very rare, is found here.
Open : 08:00am-08:00pm

Thirumalai Nayak Palace

Built in 1663 by King Thirumalai Nayak, the original palace was 4 times bigger. The museum inside displays treasures of the Nayak dynasty, paintings & other rare artifacts.
Open : 09:00am-05:00pm, Lunch Break : 01:00pm-02:00pm
Light & Sound Show : 06:45pm (in English) & 07:45pm (in Tamil)


It is a square tank enclosing an island pavilion with a garden in the center. The famous Float Festival is conducted here during ‘Thai’ month (Jan-Feb) every year.

Gandhi Museum

Dedicated to the life & works of Mahatma Gandhi, Gandhiji’s original bullet ridden cloth & shawl are treasured only in this museum.


One of the six holy temples dedicated to Lord Muruga (Subramania/Karthikeya), it’s innermost shrine is cut out of solid rock.
Open : 05:00am-12:00pm & 04:00pm-09:30pm

Iskcon Temple

(Sri Radha Krishna Temple)
Built by the ‘Hare Rama Hare Krishna’ cult followers, worship is followed by recitation of Srimad Bhagavatam & Bhagavat Gita.
Open : 04:15am-01:00pm & 04:30pm-08:30pm

Alagar koil

Located on a picturesque wooded hill, this famous Vaishnava temple is dedicated to Lord Alagar (avatar of Lord Vishnu). Uphill, the temple ‘Palamudir Cholai’ is one of the six abodes of Lord Muruga (Subramania/Karthikeya) & has a natural spring that runs throughout the year.

Palamudir Cholai

Atop Alagar hillock is located the famous shrine of Lord Muruga (Subramania/Karthikeya), one of his six abodes. The place is famous for rare trees and herbals.


The town of Pillayarpatti is named after ‘Pillayar’ – the Tamil name for Lord Ganesha (Vinayagar) and the ancient Temple here houses a huge idol of him.

Ramakrishna Mutt

The world renowned Ramakrishna Mutt has a branch in Madurai. Swami Vivekananda visited Madurai in 1893 as well as 1897 and The Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi visited Madurai in 1911. Yoga classes are conducted every Friday between 06:00am-07:00pm.

Jain Temple

1. 17A, Jadamunikoil 2nd East Lane, Madurai – 625001
2. SPG Church Lane (near YMCA), Madurai – 625001

Sri Aravindar Annai Trust

It is dedicated to realizing the ideals of Sri Aravindar (Aurobindo) & Sri Annai (Mother). It is one of the oldest places of meditation in Madurai located at 12, Sri Aravindar Avenue, Thirunagar (near 6th Stop), Madurai – 625006.

St. Mary's Church

St. Mary's Cathedral, built around 150 years back is an architectural marvel which is a blend of various forms of European and continental style. Founded in 1840, the church dedicated to Viagulamatha, was originally known as Viagulamatha Koil. The new church was constructed during 1916. St. Mary's Church was raised to the status of Pro-Cathedral in 1938 and again elevated to the status of Cathedral in 1969. The notable feature of the church is the two tall elegant bell towers constructed in Roman style which are at a height of 42 meters.


Vilakkuthoon is the Tamil name for Lamp Post. This is found in the junction of East Masi and South Masi Street, erected in memory of then British Collector, Mr. Blackburn, for his contribution in expanding Madurai by demolishing the fort wall in the inner side of the city.

Samanar Hills

Historical evidence point towards persecution of Jains by the Salvite King ruling Madurai and these Tamil Jains sought refuge in two hills, i.e. ‘Jain Hills’. Nagamalai or ‘Snake Hill’ situated 10 kms. North of Madurai has Jain engravings and beds. Keelakuyilkudi has a small pothigai or lotus pond and the hill has ancient Tamil scripts, beds, stone steps and Jain engravings.


This place situated 17 kms. from the city is prominent for Bull Taming (Jalli Kattu) during January (third day after Pongal festival) and is eagerly awaited and watched by tourists from all over the world.

Vaigai Dam

The dam is a popular picnic spot, beautifully illuminated every Sunday evening. This dam is built across the river Vaigai near Andipatti, in the Theni district of Tamil Nadu.

Sri Muthappar Swami Temple

Muthappar is described as the great bestower of boons and there are several legends associated with the manifestation of the Lord at Madurai. The following Gods & Goddesses reside at the Temple and these huge idols make this Temple special and different from the others : Lord Shiva (27 Feet), Ayur Devi Amman (67 Feet), Sri Anjaneyar (47 Feet), Sri Ramanujar, Panchamuga Anjaneyar, Sri Ragavendrar, Venkatesa Perumal, Karumai Amman (11 Feet), Iswariswarar (27 Feet), Hyagreevar, Ananthanarayanan Mahalakshmi (141 Feet from earth).

Goripalayam Darga

It is a large mosque, in Goripalayam, containing two tombs. The chief feature of interest is the massive dome cut out of a single block of stone. A liberal minded Hindu monarch built the magnificent mosque for the benefit of the Muslims.